Keeping Active In The Midst Of A Pandemic
While many of us have made the move back to the office and a somewhat normal lifestyle, the threat of a third wave is pushing many of us back to a home-based lifestyle. This means that we need to find a way to stay active without heading to the gym.
The benefits of exercise have long been stressed and shared with the world, but in case you needed a refresher, exercise is beneficial to your physical, mental, and emotional health. Although we know the benefits and have had the intention of exercising regularly, it can become difficult when faced with distractions at home and the threat and stress of navigating the pandemic. Luckily, there are a lot of ways to add movement to your day-to-day living.
17 Tips For Staying Active
- Set aside time to take a quick walk outside or around the house.
- Invest in a standing desk or work on a higher surface that forces you to stand.
- Take the stairs wherever possible.
- Spend time outside in the garden with family or play with your pets
- Walk around while on the phone or attending an online meeting.
- Double up on stair trips, why go up and down once when you can go twice?
- Give yourself a few minutes for a quick workout – download an app to guide you if you need some help.
- Make a rule when it comes to completing a task or activity, for example, walk around the house after submitting a job or do 10 jumping jacks every time you make a cup of coffee.
- Instead of walking to the kitchen, why not try doing lunges to get those muscles moving.
- Schedule a break every hour to stretch your legs.
- Do heel raises while standing at your computer or doing the dishes.
- Take up a new hobby, like gardening or running, to get you out of the house and moving.
- Try to stand whenever possible.
- When in doubt, clean! Chores are a great way to get moving and performing productive tasks.
- Put your phone in another room, forcing you to move between spaces to check messages r when you want to play now.
- Put on some music and dance it out
- Join virtual training sessions or sign up for fitness apps that offer workout programmes and healthy diets.
When it comes down to it, it's all about finding simple ways to get off your bum and get moving. It could be as simple as doing 10 squats between meetings or needing to do 5 jumping jacks before having a snack. There are so many creative ways to add movement to your day, it is all about finding what works for you. It does not even need to be set in stone; you can change it up as often as you like.